Sleep problems including snoring, sleep apnea, and insomnia, are common. Good sleep is necessary for health and can affect hormones, mood, and weight.
Sleep disorder is a condition or group of conditions that affect the ability to sleep well on a regular basis; this can be due to health problems or by too much stress. Sleep disorder is becoming common in the United States. According to a report, more than seventy-five percent of Americans between ages 20 and 60 reports having sleeping problems.
Causes of Sleeping Problems
Sleep disorder or sleep problems can be due to various reasons. Sleeping disorders affect the body natural cycle sleep and create daytime dizziness.
Factors that cause sleeping problems are:
- Medical Issues – asthma
- Physical disturbance – pain
- Environmental Issues – use of alcohol etc
- Psychiatric disorder – depressions and anxiety disorders
Short term or serious insomnia can be caused by life stresses, illness or environmental factors.
Long-term and bad insomnia that occurs at least three times a week can be caused by these factors; depression, chronic stress, and pain or discomfort at night.
- Genetics – Narcolepsy a neurological disorder of sleep regulation that affects the control of sleep and wakefulness.
- Night Shift work – People often experience sleep disorders who work at night. They cannot sleep when they feel drowsy.
- Medication – Many drugs interfere with sleep, such as blood pressure medication etc
- Aging – People from adult to the age of 65 have some sort of sleep disorder. This is not sure that if it is a normal part of aging or not.
Types of sleep disorders
There are countless types of sleep disorders. Some of them may be caused due to other bad health condition.
In insomnia, you feel difficulty to fall asleep or to remain asleep. It can be caused by stress, anxiety, hormones, and digestive problems. It can cause troubles for your health and quality of life,
- Difficulty concentrating
- Weight pain
- Impaired work
Woefully, Insomnia is very common in the United States. This disorder is more frequent among older adult and women.
Insomnia is classified into three types:
- Chronic, when insomnia happen more than one month on a regular basis
- Intermittent, when it occurs periodically.
- Transient, when it last for a few nights
Sleep apnea is characterized by pauses in breathing during sleep. This is a serious condition, causes the body to take in less amount of oxygen. It can also disturb you during sleep.
A class of sleep disorders that cause abnormal movements and behaviors during sleep. They include
- Sleep talking
- Teeth grinding
- Jaw clenching
Narcolepsy is usually known as sleep attack mostly occurs during the day. In this, you will feel extremely tiredness suddenly and fall asleep. This disorder can also cause sleep paralysis, which may make you physically unable to move after waking up.
Sleep Disorder Symptoms
Symptoms of sleep disorder can vary depending on the type and severity of the disorder. The symptoms also depend on other conditions. However, the general symptoms of sleep disorder are:
- Difficulty falling asleep
- Difficulty staying asleep
- Lack of concentration
- Strong urges to take naps
Sleep Disorder Treatment
Lifestyle adjustment and changing your daily routine can dramatically help you to improve your quality of sleep.
- Incorporating more vegetable and fish into your diet,
- Reducing sugar intake
- Drinking less water before bedtime
- Sticking to a sleeping schedule
- Decreasing tobacco and alcohol use
- Eating smaller and low carbohydrate meals before bedtime
Medical treatments can play a vital role to treat sleep disorder.
- A breathing device for surgery
- Allergy or cold medication
- Melatonin supplements
- Medication for any underlying health issues
- Sleeping pills
You can use any suitable medicine according to your health and disorder. You can buy sleeping pills online without the doctor’s prescription to treat chronic sleep disorder.
Going to bed and waking up at the same time every day notably improve your sleep.